It’s no secret that I love cake. It’s also no secret that for the majority of the time, I don’t include wheat, gluten and dairy in my diet. However, that doesn’t mean that I can’t still enjoy foods and sweet treats from time to time. This recipe is inspired by Matt and Keris at Fitter Food, but with some adaptations. I can’t recommend Fitter Food highly enough – the recipes are fantastic and creative and allow you to enjoy eating all the things you like without feeling the side effects that processed foods bring on. Give this a try and tell me that it’s not as good a commercially bought cake – I dare you.
Preparation time: 1 hour | Baking time: 30-45 minutes
For the sponge:
225g oat flour (we grind our own in a coffee grinder using gluten free oats but you could also use coconut flour)
1 tsp gluten-free bicarbonate of soda
Coconut oil (to grease your cake tin)
For the chocolate ganache:
150g of 85% chocolate
100ml of coconut cream (whisk up coconut milk to thicken it)
– Boil the orange for 1 hour until soft and tender, then discard water an allow to cool. Remove the skin and pips.
– Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees/Gas mark 4
– Whisk the eggs and sugar in a food processor until the mixture thickens in consistency
– Then add the oat flour, orange and bicarbonate of soda to the processor and mix again until the ingredients have blended thoroughly
– Pour the mixture into a greased cake tin and then place in the oven to cook. Poke the cake with a skewer after half an hour – if it comes out clean, its ready. If not, allow to cook for another 15 minutes, checking it regularly
– Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
– When the cake has cooled, remove from the tin
– For the chocolate ganache, melt the chocolate in a bowl that is over a saucepan of boiling water, then add the coconut cream
– Mix thoroughly before pouring over the cooled cake.
– Cover the top and the sides nicely with the chocolate and then place in the fridge for the ganache to set
– Time to sample – yum yum
To health, happiness and “Strength For Life”,
“Davie McConnachie is a proud dad and family man, peak performance coach and health and fitness expert. A multiple business owner, successful entrepreneur, NLP Master Practitioner, Writer, Poet and Public Speaker”