It’s no secret that I love cake. It’s also no secret that for the majority of the time, I don’t include wheat, gluten and dairy in my diet. However, that doesn’t mean that I can’t still enjoy foods and sweet treats from time to time. This recipe is inspired by Matt and Keris at Fitter Food, but with some adaptations. I can’t recommend Fitter Food highly enough – the recipes are fantastic and creative and allow you to enjoy eating all the things you like without feeling the side effects that processed foods bring on. Give this a try and tell me that it’s not as good a commercially bought cake – I dare you.
Preparation time: 1 hour | Baking time: 30-45 minutes
For the sponge:
225g oat flour (we grind our own in a coffee grinder using gluten free oats but you could also use coconut flour)
1 tsp gluten-free bicarbonate of soda
Coconut oil (to grease your cake tin)
For the chocolate ganache:
150g of 85% chocolate
100ml of coconut cream (whisk up coconut milk to thicken it)
– Boil the orange for 1 hour until soft and tender, then discard water an allow to cool. Remove the skin and pips.
– Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees/Gas mark 4
– Whisk the eggs and sugar in a food processor until the mixture thickens in consistency
– Then add the oat flour, orange and bicarbonate of soda to the processor and mix again until the ingredients have blended thoroughly
– Pour the mixture into a greased cake tin and then place in the oven to cook. Poke the cake with a skewer after half an hour – if it comes out clean, its ready. If not, allow to cook for another 15 minutes, checking it regularly
– Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
– When the cake has cooled, remove from the tin
– For the chocolate ganache, melt the chocolate in a bowl that is over a saucepan of boiling water, then add the coconut cream
– Mix thoroughly before pouring over the cooled cake.
– Cover the top and the sides nicely with the chocolate and then place in the fridge for the ganache to set
– Time to sample – yum yum
To health, happiness and “Strength For Life”,
Davie McConnachie, creator of DMC Fitness and Dynamic Mind Conditioning, is an expert health and wellness coach, multi-award winning motivational speaker, award-winning gym owner, writer and published poet.
Athletically, Davie has competed nationally in MMA, Boxing and Thai Boxing, and internationally in kettlebell sport. Davie enjoyed the London Marathon, several half marathons and is a regular mountain trekker.